Shimano Core 100MG Casting Reels - $349.99
The new CORE reels by Shimano are designed to be the ultimate, lightweight baitcasting reels. Made with magnesium frames and sideplates, and Magnumlite spool construction.
-Ultra-Lightweight Magnesium Frame and Sideplate
-Ultra-Lightweight A7075 Aluminum Spool Construction
-Magnumlite Spool Design
-S A-RB Ball Bearings
-A-RB Roller Bearing
-High Efficiency Gearing (HEG)
-Super Free (SF)
-Variable Brake System (VBS)
-Reduced Mass VBS Hub
-Cold Forged Aluminum Drag Star
-Clicking Drag Adjustment
-Aluminum Cast Control Knob
-Rubber Shielded Cast Control Knob
-Tapered Ti Levelwind Insert
-Cold Forged Aluminum Handle Shank
-Drilled Handle Shank
-Septon Handle Grips
-Recessed Reel Foot
-Lightweight Aluminum Drive Gear
-Approved for use in Saltwater
Place Your Order
About This Reel
The Core reel from Shimano is designed to be the ultimate lightweight power fishing reel. Constructed with a magnesium frame and sideplates this reel weighs in at an astonishing 6.1 ounces. The HEG gearing gives this reel plenty of fighting power and the 11lbs of drag will allow you to tame just about any fish. There is no question mark when it comes to durability with the Core. Tackle Warehouse staff tested this reel for three straight days with braided line on Lake El Salto. This reel handled hundreds of casts, hooksets and fish.
Not only is this reel extremely light it is extremely comfortable to hold during the cast and retrieve. The all new 100 size frame design is ergonomic and becomes an extension of the rod. The 6.2:1 gear ratio gives you burn back retrieve speed and combined with the HEG gearing you can move fish quick and efficiently. The Core represents the next generation of Shimano magnesium reels.
- Magnumlite Spool Design This spool provides extremely low startup inertia for increased line control and casting performance even when using lightweight baits or lures. This is accomplished through using lightweight aluminum alloys and a unique design that moves the mass of the spool outward.
- S A-RB (Anti-Rust Bearings) are specially treated ball bearings that are 10 times more corrosion resistant than standard stainless steel ball bearings.
- A-RB Roller Bearing
- High Efficiency Gearing (HEG) is not only the oversized gears, but also includes the setplate and sideplate, which allow for a high speed retrieve while providing unbelievable fish-moving torque.
- Super Free (SF) bearing supported pinion gear system eliminates friction between the pinion gear and spool shaft for increased freespool.
- Variable Brake System (VBS) uses centrifugal force rather than magnets to aid in controlling the cast for increased distance and adjustability.
- Reduced Mass VBS hub reduces the weight of the spool increasing freespool and reducing start up inertia.
- Escape Hatch Easy to use trigger allows quick access to the VBS weights and keeps the sideplate smooth for comfort when palming the reel.
- Dartainium Drag material provides a wide range of drag settings and the smoothest Shimano drag performance ever.
- Cold Forged Handle Shank is much stronger than a pressed or cast handle for non-flexing durability.
- Septon' Handle Grips This handle grip material is soft to the touch and does not get slippery when wet.
- Recessed Reel Foot allows the reel to sit closer to the rod for comfort and maneuverability.
- Rubber Shielded Cast Control Knob
- Tapered Ti Levelwind Insert
- Drilled Handle Shank reduces the weight of the reel without sacrificing strength.
- Lightweight Aluminum Drive Gear
- Paddle Grips
Comments: This reel literally puts a smile on my face with how far it casts. It will blow your mind, a "country mile" doesn't even begin to describe what this reel is capable of. Shimano puts great quality and thought into their higher-end reels and it shows. I would love to have a Core 100mg on all my rods, but I couldn't be happier with the two I have!
From: Ralph: No. FL
Comments: So I hadn't even had this reel a whole month and when fighting a fish, not even a very big one 2.5lbs, the screw that goes through the handle shank and drag star jumped threads and the handle was soooo crooked and the drag star was really offset too. I don't know if I got a defective nut/screw or shimano doesn't put very durable material in that part of the reel. Now I get to wait 3 weeks so shimano can hopefully get it right this time. Other than that, this reel is boss.
From: South GA
Comments: This reel just came in yesterday and haven't gotten a chance to fish it yet cause i'm waiting on my Powell Endurance rod to come in. But first impressions this thing is insanely light, I love all the glitter on the reel and this is the smoothest five bearing reel money can buy. Shimano is definitely the only reels I will ever buy, all my rods have shimano reels on them because I have yet to fish another reel that feels, performs and looks as good as a Shimano!
Comments: Just arrived in the mail today paid $271.06 also purchased a Daiwa Alpha Ito AI 2005 JDM reel for $190.88 can't wait to get on the water again. It feels like a feather in my hand shimano is still one of the best reels made in my book.
From: Tbass: Loganville, GA
Comments: Very light smooth retrieve cast very well & has strong drag . Hate the line capacity, wish it holds some more line .
From: Fishkiller01: NYC, NY
Comments: I also CAN NOT believe anybody would compare this reel to an ardent. Shimanos have held up to fishing a few hundered days a year. These reels are workhorses.
From: Jeremy: Punxsutwaney, PA
Comments: cant believe someone compared this reel with an ardent... anyways yeah its pricey but you get what you pay for.....shimano's are tanks and can take a beating and still function like day one - this reel has great drag, smooth retrieve and cast great - what else can i say.
From: Sickman: NY area
Comments: The reel feels great but I don't like paying $350 dollars for it plus I like my Ardent XS1000 a lot more it is $100 cheaper and throws farther. The reel is too small for my hand and I have come to not like Shimanos.
From: Taylor, GA
Comments: Awesome... cast like a champ, tough, easy access to the brakes, and light... A Chronarch in mag!
From: Ker: Florence, KY
Comments: Super light and super tough, one of the best reels on the market, Tackle Warehouse is a great on-line store to get all the best stuff!!!
From: MrBond007: East Lansing, MI